The Northwest Barony
News and Rumors
- The dwarven builders say that the remaining stone in the nearby quarry is of poor quality. “Good enough for building house,” one of the dwarves was overheard saying, “but for wall and tower is crap.” If construction is to continue, a new quarry will eventually need to be located.
- Barbarians – most likely Greylanders – were reportedly spotted by some shepherds in the hills to the east. Two of the baron’s knights rode out with their men-at-arms a few days ago to investigate, but they have not yet returned.
- The dwarves tell of an ancient, long-abandoned castle several days journey to the north. They say it is not of dwarven construction, which means it was probably built when men last inhabited the area. The baron is offering a reward for its discovery and news of its condition.
- According to the local washerwomen, one of the chapel acolytes was seen sneaking around in the woods outside of town a few nights ago. He was carrying a sack and a hooded lantern.
- The dwarves say there is a boggy forest far to the northeast that has been cursed by evil spirits. Those who venture there seldom return, and the animals who live there are said to be possessed.
- A barrel maker who recently arrived from the province of Leodar (the region most affected by the blight) says that, just before he came north, several women in his village gave birth to babies with two heads.
- The dwarves tell many stories about a race of cloven-hooved creatures, half man and half animal. The dwarves claim to have driven them from the land many years ago. Some of the dwarves fear that these creatures will return, now that the dwarves are no longer a threat to them.
- A carpenter from who arrived in town a few days ago from the province of Harend (the seat of The Empire) said that the emperor has fallen ill. Many of the commoners have been spreading the rumor, saying that it is the work of sorcery or poison. The carpenter was last seen being escorted into the keep by one of the baron’s knights.
- Some of the dwarves managed to hang on to quite a bit of gold when they fled their cities. It is said that the clan leaders are offering a reward to anyone who can tell them what has become of their old homes since then.
- A group of fishermen have reported some strange looking ruins downriver to the west. They describe it as some sort of ancient settlement, or perhaps a temple, but they only saw it from a distance.